Re: first steps in elisp

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: first steps in elisp
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 06:39:01 +0100

On 2016-11-25, at 00:00, Mark Piffer <mark.piffer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to write some helper functions which should ease documentation of
> C as per the method which my customers require (mostly repetition of
> parameters as Doxygen-enabled comments - I don't think that that's a good
> idea, but the customer wants it). I coudn't find a package that was primitive
> enough to help me with the parsing - the code is embedded C and quite
> non-standard with respect to compiler extensions. So I tried to walk the
> extra mile and code a little elisp for fun. Which things are especially bad
> or unusual concerning both, Lisp and emacs?

After just a quick glance:

(if CONDITION (progn THEN-CLAUSES...) nil) == (if CONDITION (progn
THEN-CLAUSES...)) == (when CONDITION THEN-CLAUSES...)

(if CONDITION nil ELSE-CLAUSES...) == (unless CONDITION ELSE-CLAUSES...)

Also, instead of using setq and global variables, it's much better to
use let.

Keep up the good work of learning Elisp;-)!

--
Marcin Borkowski