Re: How do i say it in emacs lisp

From: Matthias Pfeifer
Subject: Re: How do i say it in emacs lisp
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:50:32 +0000

Hi Tomas,

thanks for the general clarification. I was suspecting hooks to be the way to
go. However I was running in some sort of recursion (i guess) until i figured
out to temporarily set my hook to nil. This is what I fiddled together: My plan
is to have a package called "neotree" update it's buffer whenever another
window's buffer is switched and the selected frame's configuration matches a
certain layout. Let me try to re-phrase: When the current frame hosts two
windows. And any of these windows is showing the neotree buffer and other
window's buffers is switched then I want neotree to go to the buffers file.

Here is my elisp:

  (defun mp:neotree-updater ()
    (when (eq 2 (length (window-list)))
      (let* ((wnd-0 (nth 0 (window-list)))
             (wnd-1 (nth 1 (window-list)))
             (buf-0 (window-buffer wnd-0))
             (buf-1 (window-buffer wnd-1))
             (neo-buf nil)
             (other-buf nil)
             (neo-wnd nil)
             (other-wnd nil)
             (filename nil)
             (neo-buffer (get-buffer " *NeoTree*")))
        (when (and neo-buffer
                   (or (eq buf-0 neo-buffer)
                       (eq buf-1 neo-buffer)))
          (progn
            (if (eq buf-0 neo-global--buffer)
                (setq neo-buf buf-0
                      other-buf buf-1
                      neo-wnd wnd-0
                      other-wnd wnd-1)
              (setq neo-buf buf-1
                    other-buf buf-0
                    neo-wnd wnd-1
                    other-wnd wnd-0))
            (setq filename (buffer-file-name other-buf))
            (when (and filename
                       (file-exists-p filename))
              (progn
                (setq mp:neotree-go-to-dir filename)
                (let ((buffer-list-update-hook buffer-list-update-hook))
                  (neotree-find filename)
                  (select-window other-wnd)))))))))

;; (add-hook 'buffer-list-update-hook 'mp:neotree-updater)

;; (remove-hook 'buffer-list-update-hook 'mp:neotree-updater)

It seems to be working the way I expected it. Second opinion is welcome :-)

Matthias Pfeifer