Re: nntp setup gnus

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: nntp setup gnus
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:17:25 -0800

Matthew Pritchard <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:
> I have a a usenet server that requires authentication. Is their a way
> to set up a news server in emacs custom menu?

The variable `gnus-select-method' is part of the `gnus-server'
customization group, which you can get to by typing:

    M-x customize-group RET gnus-server RET

`RET' means to hit enter/return.

In your case, you just need to change the "Address:" value to the
address of your NNTP server (which I believe you said is
news.usenet.net).

Doing the above will be equivalent to putting this form in your init
file (i.e. the first step in the instructions I provided in response to
your earlier question about this):

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.usenet.net"))

You will still want to create an ~/.authinfo file so that Gnus has your
credentials.

Hope that helps

        John