Re: file uncompression with native Windows Emacs

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: file uncompression with native Windows Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:10:17 -0600

On 12/8/2016 19:29, Will Parsons wrote:
I'm confused about what I should expect for file uncompression with
native Windows Emacs.  I'm running:

GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)

Curiously, if I visit a file compressed with bzip2, Emacs has no
problem opening it, but if I visit a file compressed with gzip, Emacs
complains that "Uncompression program 'gzip' not found".

How is this supposed to work?  I don't see any compression binaries
packages in the Emacs installation directory, but I do have an
ezwinports directory that contains bzip2 utilities, so perhaps Emacs
is using that (but how does it know?)  If ezwinports is the source of
bzip2 for Emacs, I don't see similar gzip utilities, so I'm quite
confused.

ezwinports is probably in your path. Type "where bzip2.exe" to see if this is so. A couple of gzip binaries for w32 are here:

http://www.gzip.org/ ;; put them one of them in the same directory where bzip2 is now and emacs should find it.

It looks like you need both bzip2 and bunzip2 (and maybe bzip2recover.exe plus a dll in case something goes wrong). gzip decompresses with the -d switch. Since gzip is older it's probably more reliable but I don't know much about it since I use only decompression (usually with 7-zip).

Ed