Re: properly setting up ~/.emacs.d for daemon usage

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: properly setting up ~/.emacs.d for daemon usage
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:49:30 +0000

Hi Filipe,

I have stumbled across this in the past. Here's the solution that works for
me to get a config that works when daemonp is nil/non-nil and
display-graphic-p is nil/non-nil:

https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/init.el

Search for focus-in-hook in there and look at that code and the comment
explanation above that.

I am traveling, else I would have typed clean directly reusable code
snippets over here.

Another way to deal with setup that works regardless of the session being
daemonp is to load the setup after some delay. I do that for loading
desktop sessions:

;; Delay desktop setup by a second.
;; - This speeds up emacs init, and
;; - Also (n)linum and other packages would already be loaded which the
files
;; being loaded from the saved desktop might need.
(use-package setup-desktop :defer 1)

So there are no daemonp startup issues like "linum font face not defined",
etc.

About loading themes, I do that in window-setup-hook, because that always
runs whether or not daemonp is non-nil.  Search for window-setup-hook in
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-visual.el

Hope this helps.
--

Kaushal Modi