Re: Ubuntu font of wisdom

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Ubuntu font of wisdom
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:53:14 -0500

"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@speakeasy.net> writes:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 01:02:42 -0500
> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> > I don't see any way to exclude a directory from configure's search
>> > path.  I'm grateful for the many years between today and the last
>> > time I was responsible for a configure.ac.  I can report configure
>> > is broken: it should either not use anaconda's tree, or it should
>> > use both forks.
>> > Other suggestions?
>>
>> On Fedora, I get libpng16 out of /usr/include and /usr/lib64.
>> I think you need to install a devel package like
>> libpng-devel.
>
> That was my first tack.  At this stage of the game on Ubuntu LTS, GTK+
> relies on png 12.  You can have GTK3+ or png 16, but not both.

That sounds odd, and maybe wrong.
I believe I have gtk3 on my system.

home> dnf list gtk3*
gtk3.x86_64 3.20.9-1.fc24...

What error message do you get?
In general, proper new versions don't conflict with old versions.

> Your suggestion may illuminate part of the root of the problem,
> though.  Most packagers undoubtedly are running relatively new systems,
> and have png 16 installed as a matter of course.  And most Anaconda
> usrs don't situate the package in /usr/local.

Yes, I believe using something for one package
specific to a particular package isn't the right
way to go.

Why are you using stuff in /usr/local at all?
The package manager shouldn't put stuff there.

> If I put my anaconda elsewhere or ran closer to the leading edge
> (either one) my anaconda installation wouldn't have come into play,
> because configure would have found /usr/local/lib/libpng16.so.  It's
> only the combination that manifests the defect.

Still not clear on what you are up to, but you may want to adjust
the order things are retrieved with /usr/local closer to the front.

--
Dan Espen