Re: cannot disable paren matching

From: Konstantin Shakhnov
Subject: Re: cannot disable paren matching
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 01:42:04 +0300

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 01:29:47PM -0700, Don Woods wrote:
> I am having a problem where paren matching is not working as desired,
> and I am unable either to turn it off or to make it work correctly.
>
> The specific case where I'm having trouble is in PostScript mode,
> when also in Overwrite mode.  When I type a character that acts as a
> close paren -- such as > or } -- the character is inserted instead of
> overwriting the current char.  Emacs briefly highlights the matching
> open paren, or reports a mismatch, as the case may be, but does NOT
> remove the char I was intending to overwrite.
>
> Since I don't especially need the paren highlighting in my current
> editing, most of my attempts to work around this bug have involved
> trying to disable the paren-matching behavior.  I have tried such
> things as

Similar at GNU Emacs 24.5.1.

Are you sure that the culprit is the (show-paren-mode) ?

M-x describe-mode ps-mode said

>               ps-mode-r-gt
]               ps-mode-r-angle
}               ps-mode-r-brace

(defun ps-mode-r-brace ()
  "Insert `}' and perform balance."
  (interactive)
  (insert "}")
  (ps-mode-r-balance "}"))

So it seems like you need overwrite or disable or make something other
with ps-mode-r-brace. For instance (add to .emacs):

(defun my-ps-mode-r-brace ()
  (interactive)
  (self-insert-command 1))

(add-hook 'ps-mode-hook
          (lambda () (local-set-key (kbd "}") 'my-ps-mode-r-brace)))