Re: cannot disable paren matching

From: Don Woods
Subject: Re: cannot disable paren matching
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:35:20 -0700 (MST)

Thanks John and Skip for the answers so far.  I tried (show-paren-mode -1)
and it seems to be the same as (show-paren-mode 0) in that it yields nil,
whereas (show-paren-mode 1) yields t.  I've also tried M-x show-paren-mode,
which toggles the state.  Interestingly, even in fundamental-mode, turning
show-paren-mode off does NOT stop emacs from briefly moving to the matching
open when I type a close, whether or not I'm in overwrite-mode.

As to John's scenario starting with emacs -Q, I tried it on my emacs and
ended with "a{b}c{d}r}" in the buffer, i.e. with two extra chars at the end
due to the two occurrences of buggy behavior on close.  I have emacs 24.2.1
on another system (unix not Mac, not that that should matter) and it shows
the same bug.  I guess I'll have to see if I can get 25 installed on either
or both of those systems.

Perhaps someone who has Emacs 24 installed can try John's scenario and shed
further light?

        -- Don.