Re: xref symlink indigestion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: xref symlink indigestion
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 16:20:15 -0500

> I suspect something somewhere is gratuitously calling realpath(3),
> doubtless with good intentions.  I'd like to understand why, and see if
> there's a better way.

Emacs calls the equivalent of `realpath` (aka `file-truename`) very
frequently, indeed.

Maybe there's simply a bug in Emacs, but maybe you could try to set
directory-abbrev-alist so that canonicalization of file names uses the
symlink name rather than its target.  Something like:

    (setq directory-abbrev-alist
          (("/usr/local/projects/" . "/home/jklowden/projects")))

But it seems that maybe the bug is simply that *Messages* should not use
/home/jklowden/projects/csv2bin/ but /usr/local/projects/csv2bin/ (at
least unless/until you set directory-abbrev-alist as above).

        Stefan