Re: Calling external programs in emacs

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Calling external programs in emacs
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:34:12 -0500

Sam Nirvana <samnirvana@linux.org> writes:

> I'm new to emacs, so forgive my inexperience.
>
> As you know, with Vim I can compile, say, a TeX file from within the
> editor with the following command:
>
>       :!pdftex %
>
> Is there a way to do the same thing with emacs?

That runs a shell command in vi.
Emacs can do that also (M-!),
but for compiling, you want to use the emacs command:

M-x compile

you probably want to bind a key to that.

The main reason you want to do a compile is because the Emacs
functions next-error and previous-error work after a compile.

The M-x command by default runs the command "make -k".
You can just type your command over that.

I highly recommend creating a Makefile.

--
Dan Espen