64 bit emacs on AIX

From: Perry Smith
Subject: 64 bit emacs on AIX
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:55:23 -0600

I'd like to get emacs compiled in 64 bit mode working on AIX.  It got it to
compile.  It does not dump but I am hoping I can work on that so right now,
I just start start temacs and let it load the init files.

I discovered that I can not execute other programs from inside emacs.  For
example, dired dies with

dired-insert-directory: Searching for program: No such file or directory, ls

and the last entry on the stack is call-process.  It looks like
call-process calls openp which must return the error.  openp I assume calls
faccessat because X_OK is passed in as the predicate to openp.

"ls" is going to be a 32 bit executable but there should not be any reason
I can't fork / exec to a 32 bit executable from a 64 bit executable.  I'm
guessing that openp / faccessat is not happy.

Short of adding printf's, any suggestions on how to debug this?  I doubt if
gdb / dbx will work but I guess it might.

Anyone have an educated guess (based upon past battle scars) as to what
might be going on?

Thank you for your help,
Perry