Re: About "white flashes" when a new frame is created

From: Andrea Cardaci
Subject: Re: About "white flashes" when a new frame is created
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:53:51 +0000

Hi Bob,

thanks, you pointed me into the right direction. It turned out that this is
a GTK "issue" and it does not happen with the Lucid toolkit.

Moreover I figured out how to fix this behavior in the GTK version, it does
not avoid the artifacts, rather it makes them the same color as the
background. As per [1] I added the following in `~/.emacs.d/gtkrc`:

style "default"
{
    bg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    # ...
}

I've always considered the Lucid toolkit to be the *ancient* version,
superseded by GTK, also considering its unspeakably ugly widgets (I do not
use menus and dialogs normally, but they happen to pop up in certain
circumstances); but maybe it is not this way...

Cheers,

Andrea

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/GTK-styles.html#GTK-styles

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 at 00:22 Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

Andrea Cardaci wrote:
> Now, it is entirely possible that this is an issue with the window manager
> (i3), but as I said this only happens with Emacs. In particular it doesn't
> happen with rxvt, which has a black background too.

rxvt in Debian Jessie uses libx11 not GTK.  If what you are seeing is
a GTK artifact then rxvt won't experience it.

> So I was wondering if someone else is experiencing this. Please let me
know
> if you need more details about my environment. I'm using Emacs straight
> from the master branch (03de82fe7ca09ab40fbcae394d4fcdfe3374496e), but the
> same happens with version 24 from the Debian Jessie repo.

I am not experiencing this using a Debian Jessie stock install of the
emacs24-lucid package.  It uses the Lucid toolkit instead of GTK.  You
might give it an install and test to see if it flashes for you or
not.  I find the Lucid emacs avoids some annoyances of the GTK emacs
and therefore it is the normal one for me.

Bob