Re: problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding

From: Krishnakant
Subject: Re: problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:07:57 +0530

Hi and thank you for your help.

On Monday 13 February 2017 08:32 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Hi Krishnakant,

On 13.02.2017 07:14, Krishnakant wrote:

The problem is that although default auto completion behavior is perfectly good for sighted users, for me it is too much speech.

That's understandable. Since you are a blink user, though, I'm not sure if you can really benefit from the popup-like UI.

I can certainly use the dropdown because I choose from the list using arrow keys. All I need is that it happens one only when I want it.
Maybe try and see if C-M-i works as well for you, and if it doesn't, request that elpy integrates with completion-at-point-functions.

So what I was trying to do is to set company-mode not to auto complete automatically.

The variable that controls it is company-idle-delay. Try:

(setq company-idle-delay nil)

Where should I have it?
Should I put it just any where in my .init.el file?
You can find all the customization variables by typing 'M-x customize-group RET company'.

Note that I am very new to setting such things in Emacs.
So I have to manauly start python-mode when I open a .py file. I am aware this is not correct but can't see what's wrong.

Emacs should enter python-mode by default in .py files. If it doesn't, what major mode does it use? You can find out by evaluating 'major-mode'. Press M-: to evaluate an expression.

Yes I will do that.
Thanks a million.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.