Re: org-forward-sentence moving by paragraphs, not sentences?

From: Roland Tarver
Subject: Re: org-forward-sentence moving by paragraphs, not sentences?
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:50:59 +0000

Hi Tomas,

On 17/03/17 14:45, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:50:34AM +0000, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hello All!

First post here :-)  Fairly new to emacs - please be gentle with me! haha.
Don't worry. Lots of civilised folks around here ;-)

Phew! Thats lucky ;-) haha

I am using org-mode (which is just amazing!) and I seem to be having
trouble with moving forward and backward by sentences.

The M-e key is bound to org-forward-sentence and the M-a key is
bound to org-backward-sentence. However, when I press these keys the
point moves backward or forward by paragraph, not by sentence.

In an effort to exclude incorrect key bindings, I have run the
functions using M-x org-forward-sentence and M-x
org-backward-sentence. This has the same result - moves by
paragraphs only.

These results have occurred in the org file that I am working with
at present. Interestingly, M-e and M-a work as they should whilst
moving through the online tutorial (C-h t). The tutorial buffer
opens in fundamental mode. I have opened my org file in fundamental
too - still the problem persists.

Any ideas?
Yes. The sentence is in the eye of the beholder :-)

Just type in C-h f and then forward-sentence <RET>. You get the help
text for that function (I guess you already did). Now this has a
reference to the variable "sentence-end", which is customizable
(but don't let customize sirens detour your boat: hold to the mast).

... I'm hanging on ^^ ...

Go to sentence-end's doco (C-h v ...). Its default value is the
result of invoking the function (sentence-end) which (on my system,
at least) is... (ohmygod, that looks ugly ;-)

Anyway it's some punctuation followed by *more* than one space.

Judging by your mail you come from a culture which (like mine)
tends to terminate sentences by just a dot and *one* space. That's
not enough for `sentence-end's default value..

That's, of course all my guess, but perhaps it sets you off into
the right direction.

You guessed correctly! Thank you very much for your help. I am not yet proficient with emac's help system. I did not even know you could get descriptions of variables. O well, I guess I have to start somewhere. Thankfully I know enough to make daily use of emacs; and thus learn as I work...

Your comments helped me fix the "problem", thank you.

Best wishes
Roly :-)

Regards
- -- t