Problem in Ubuntu with certain commands depending on mouse position

From: Jonathan Ganc
Subject: Problem in Ubuntu with certain commands depending on mouse position
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 01:36:01 -0400

Hi,

I am running Emacs 25.1 in Ubuntu 16.10. Whenever I have two frames open and the mouse is positioned over the other frame (i.e. not over the active one), certain commands like 'yank-pop' and 'dabbrev-expand' don't work properly. I figured out that the issue is that, in these situations, the Alt key is producing a <switch-frame> event on key-down.

I don't know enough about x-windows/emacs input to know why this event is being produced in this situation. I filed a bug https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26104 but the one responder also didn't know the significance of the <switch-frame> being produced here.

I don't mind trying to do some delving into the code and seeing if I can fix the problem. However, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what was happening and why...?

Jonathan