Re: emacs 24: cursor shape is now i

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacs 24: cursor shape is now i
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 02:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 05:24:32 UTC+8, sunch...@gmail.com  wrote:

> > On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:42:31 AM UTC-4, Xah Lee wrote:
> > > In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> > > to i-beam?
> > >

> > I am experiencing exactly the same issue which drives me crazy. Changing
> > the variables or editing .emacs has no effect on it. Any idea? Windows 10
> > with emacs 25.1.1.
>
> Oh by the way, when I followed what was described and load emacs without an
> init file, i.e. through emacs -Q, then close and launch emacs the usual way,
> everything works just fine. I got the right cursor shape with the right
> cursor color. Isnt it weird...

Emacs may have detected some sort of assistive device (like screen magnifier,
or a screen reader) active at the time of startup the first time.

When such software is detected, Emacs uses a native Windows cursor so that the
assistive software can track the cursor properly and do its job.
The variables that control the look of Emacs cursor do not work when the native
Windows cursor is being used.