Fixxed buffer size for eshell

From: Anast Gramm
Subject: Fixxed buffer size for eshell
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:02:52 +0300

Hello,

I am using eshell to compile and test my projects.

When I run a build command eshell gets filled with thousands of lines
with the compiler commands.

This results in a huge buffer (>10mb) thus slowing down emacs.

As a workaround I use the clear function copied straight out of
the emacsdev mailing list [1].

This is not ideal, since I use it after the buffer is filled, and emacs
is already slow at that point.

What I want is a fixed buffer size, like in normal terminals where
you have a set amount of lines.
I'd like something like (setq eshell-max-lines 1000) so when the output reaches
line 1000 the next like is inserted while the first one is deleted and so on...

Does this exist? If not, how would one go to implement such a feature?

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-03/msg00176.html