Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 22:12:19 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> But Gmane has been discontinued since last July
> 2016. It is not currently an option for people.
> Offline for most of the past year.
>
> For those wishing to read up on the saga these three
> in this order should get you up to speed on things.
>
>   https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/
>
>   http://gmane.org/find.php?list=help+gnu+emacs
>
>   http://home.gmane.org/
>
> I was sad to see Lars discontinue Gmane. It was
> a good resource.

For his work on Gnus and Gmane, Lars is a *legend*
were it so to stop forever tomorrow. But it hasn't
stopped and God willing it won't. I have been using it
all this time and I still am, I am typing this in
a message buffer hooked to gmane.emacs.help !

Usenet was one of the best things ever and in many
ways Gmane is better, at least in terms of technology.
In terms of the content, it is both better and worse.
It is better because it is much more to the point,
less flame wars etc. One should then remember that
Usenet was once thought of as a very disciplined
place. Gmane and the listbots-as-newsgroups is
super-disciplined then, I suppose. The drawback is
that on groups like for example rec.bicycles.tech
there is tons of off-topic discussions that are
actually healthy and very interesting. That culture is
lost here to a great extent. But not entirely; compare
the SX Q&A sites where there is no culture whatsoever,
actually it is impossible, built-in in the
architecture. Those sites are very useful, so it is
not an issue of what is better. As for me, I always
wanted the culture *and* the technology. Just because
I do computers doesn't mean I am a computer or want to
be one. Did I find the culture? Well, Gnus and Gmane
and listbots-as-newsgroups as well as real Usenet
groups (aioe, also thru Gnus) are the closest I got.

Perhaps it is a lost cause, because

    you can fire your arrows from the tower of Babel,
    but you can NEVER strike God

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573