Re: About how misspelled word are displayed

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: About how misspelled word are displayed
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 17:22:22 -0700

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> By the way flyspell isn't such a good idea.
> It is disruptive to do this as you type.
> Better to focus on typing (hands) and looking
> (eyes) and thinking (brain). When you are done
> writing, you can do ispell once. It also has
> different gears depending on what buffer you
> are in - for example, in a code buffer, only
> strings and comments are checked.

FWIW, flyspell also has that feature, `flyspell-prog-mode'.

I half-agree with you about on-the-fly spell checking, mostly because I
find the inevitable false positives somewhat distracting.

However, I still use it because, with both text and code, I find I'm
often editing things where "done" is not a clearly-defined state. Emails
are an exception, because eventually you send it and that's it. Most
documents I work with aren't like that. I prefer to see the errors and
fix them now, so they don't hang around in the document and/or my
subconscious longer than necessary.

        John