Re: About how misspelled word are displayed

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: Re: About how misspelled word are displayed
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 21:04:49 +0530

At 2017-05-13T16:59:45+02:00, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> The distinction between a variable and an option should not be
> dramatized.

Options, unlike arbitrary variables, come with a type declaration.  Some
options come with setting mechanisms, again unlike arbitrary variables.
No dramatisation here.  Just a statement of facts.

> `setq' works for both as an option is a variable just as much.

Sure, setq, as you say, works, but neither does it check that the values
assigned to an option belong to the declared types, nor does it respect
the setting mechanisms of options.  I would prefer to heed these
features when I assign values to options, so I have been asking about
alternatives to setq like customize-set-variable.

> `set-variable' is interactive so you can use it with M-x and TAB if
> you don't know/remember the exact option name.
>
> Setting options interactively all the time should be avoided tho -
> better to look for generalized configs that'll stick and be part of
> your Emacs personality.

I asked explicitly in my first message about a "recommended way of
setting an option using Emacs Lisp directly".  I don't remember saying
that I want to set options or variables interactively.

Cheers,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/