Re: call function in other window ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: call function in other window ?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 15:48:00 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> Yes, and it's also called reinventing the
> wheel, when you don't know that the concept
> of "wheel" exists :)

Reinventing the wheel is not necessarily a bad
thing to do. This time a"round" you may
discover something useful. Also, contrary to
what programmers seem to think, a wheel isn't
a trivial implementation of a brilliant
concept. A kid can find a flat, round stone and
roll it to the fireplace to sit on. But the
front wheel of a bike consists at the very
least of a tire, a tube, a rim with rim tape,
spokes with nipples, a socket with flanges,
dome nuts, washers and cone nuts, and an axle
with dust shields, bearings, and grease.

> Kidding aside, for me, it is more important
> right now to work on information discovery
> than on writing a few lines of code that
> I may or may not use in the future.

There is no contradiction. Discovering Emacs
thru code is a fine way of doing it.

> Emacs is so huge that there is always the
> possibility to just not find what is right
> under my nose because the information is hard
> to discover *or* because I would not think of
> looking for it in the right place.

Yeah, what you'd do is get some intuitive feel
of the terminology, and then use `apropos' and
`apropos-command', as well as the describe-'s
(e.g., `describe-function') with TAB
completion. Then check up what you find in the
on-line help. ("On-line" as in not on paper :))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573