Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode

From: John Ankarström
Subject: Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 00:47:42 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Keep in mind that with regard to HTML there are two possible
> interpretations of folding.
> [...]
> * Another is folding the contents after a heading up to (but not
> including) the next heading of that or higher level on the same level
> of element nesting: <h2>Foo</h2>{{…}}<h1>Bar</h1>.

I'm not sure that's an optimal way to interpret or write HTML. Modern
tags like <section> make it easier and more reliable to divide documents
into sections, for both humans and programs. The second approach you
describe seems a little prone to breaking, as it's hard to know the
writer's original intent without explicit <section>'s.

Though, there is a case where a similar approach is necessary: for
example, to fold paragraphs without a closing </p> tag (which is valid
HTML), or list items without </li>, etc. Though it would surprise me if
any HTML folding packages for Emacs supported it ... :-)