Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 20:34:37 +0700

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> It would also be a constant discussion - when
> to re-learn, when to tweak the new stuff to
> your old ways.

When your old ways are so hard ingrained in your brain and fingers,
you port. That’s what happened for me with F2 to save and Ctrl+Y to
delete a line; I have carried them from wordstar-like editors on DOS
through Visual Studio on Windows to Emacs on GNU/Linux.

> From an efficiency standpoint, typing is good
> as it is more versatile and is readily
> transferable between modes. It is more
> flexible. Relying heavily on mode-specific
> things is the opposite, but when taken to
> a certain degree of perfection, for that
> particular mode and task I suppose it could be
> insanely fast and efficient.

In the previous life, in a different editor, I had a very efficient
setup based halfway on keys, halfway on typing. I would hold down Alt
and type a unique prefix of an HTML tag, and it would wrap the
selection in a matched pair. Never got to port it to Emacs though;
these days I prefer generating HTML from Markdown. Or, when I need the
full power of HTML, I use Yasnippet (which also has a way to wrap
around the selection).