Re: Unescaping character display.

From: R. Clayton
Subject: Re: Unescaping character display.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 18:58:23 -0400

  You mean UTF-8, not UTF-16.

Yeah, probably.

  In any case, at this point you should file a bug report with all the
  details, because "emacs -Q" shouldn't fail to decode UTF-8 text.

That's what I was thinking (or "thinking").  I'd seen o-with-umlauts in rmail,
so I figured utf-8 was covered correctly, leaving utf-16 (or utf-32, but that's
ridiculous).

  Can't say I understand what that is about.  "utf-16 indicators"?  what's
  that?

A symbol or string or keyword indicating utf-16 is relevant in some way, like
is used in gnus-group-name-charset-group-alist.  I imagined such a mechanism
exists to solve the problem, but a quick look around wasn't too promising.

I'll dink around with this a while longer.  If I don't get anywhere, I'll file
a bug report.  Thanks for your help.