Re: Delete marked files from dired

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Delete marked files from dired
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:55:15 +0700

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> He is marking them with keys * s which is
> `dired-mark-subdir-files'. x, or
> `dired-do-flagged-delete' doesn't work then (it
> does for d, `dired-flag-file-deletion', as you
> mention) but perhaps the OP was unaware of that
> method as well so why not.

Does somebody remember the story of different marks?

I mean, Dired has D for flagging for deletion, * for marking for most
other operations, and a command to change one mark to another. Ibuffer
has D for killing and > for other operations.

Most other file managers have just one kind of mark and it works the
same way for copying, moving, and deleting.

I wonder how and why that feature evolved?