Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)

From: Maria Shinoto
Subject: Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 10:35:55 +0900

Emanuel,

Thanks for the input. I already wrote Jean-Christophe personally, because it seems that we have a lot in common that is not a real issue for most of the people.

But since you took so much effort into the matter, which I really appreciate, some comments from my experience:

I write Japanese, English and German without looking on the keyboard with quite some speed. Using compose keys is inacceptable in that way. Instead, I change keyboard layout any time I change the language. This is a matter of two or one keyboard strokes, depending on the physical keyboard layout. I mainly use Japanese keyboards with Japanese and US layout (physically) and type on -- software-wise -- Japanese (Roman letters changing on the fly to Japanese), English, German, Korean and Chinese keyboard layouts. Since I can type blind, I am not distracted by the different writings on the physical keyboard keys.

I would not leave this technique behind, since it evolved during my life, together with computers getting smarter, and it is the most comfortable and the fastest way. I need the speed when writing down text!

So I am now looking along the route of the LANG variable; seems to be the most promising way. But for today, I will not have time to check this -- at the moment I am writing on my Mac :)

Best,
Maria