Re: Major and minor modes

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Major and minor modes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:15:59 -0400

In article <z-SdnaV-lJGz4d3EnZ2dnUU7-cHNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
 "M.R.P." <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me clearly how Major modes and minor modes work
> together. Can any minor mode work within any major mode? How do these
> work together?

Some minor modes are modifications to a specific set of major modes, so
they can only work with those modes. For instance, electric mode
modifies a number of language modes.

Other minor modes are more general, and can work with any major mode.
For instance, auto-fill mode. But sometimes it's not very useful -- you
probably don't want to do auto filling when editing programs rather than
text.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA