Re: Major and minor modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Major and minor modes
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:59:00 +0300

> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Shall we move this discussion to emacs-devel ?
>
> I would say no (but feel free).  Eli will decide anyway,
> and probably already has.

It wasn't my decision.  And you-all seem to misunderstand my part in
this thread: I was just trying to explain Jean-Christophe's
observations, that's all.  I didn't put those directives into the
manual, and I don't really know why that was done.  You can use "git
annotate" to see who did, and then try asking them why did they do
that, or do more forensics I did and find a discussion which led to
the change.

> I don't see much point in a big discussion about it.  It's not a
> very big deal.

I agree.  I also trust those who did it that this was done for some
valid reason, not out of negligence or incompetence.  The Emacs
project treats documentation very seriously, and no such change back
in 2004 could be sneaked without RMS approving it.

If, after all that, someone still wants to open a discussion about
that, feel free.