Re: Emacs flickers periodically

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs flickers periodically
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:35:58 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:21:12 +0300
>
> >> Couldn't that actually be beneficial?
> >
> > Beneficial in what sense?  Users are generally annoyed by flickering,
> > especially when most or all of the display doesn't change.
>
> In the "eliminating bugs" sense, bugs to which you referred later. I
> can't say I have a clear idea how, except by eliminating certain
> optimizations which you refer to in bug#16621).
>
> And also, terminal emulators might have their own display
> synchronization logic.

Flickering is not caused by display synchronization.  It is caused by
constant redrawing of large portions of display with the same content.

> > AFAIK, Emacs never redraws display in inconsistent state (barring
> > bugs, of course).
>
> But that's the effect that the double-buffering patch brings: limiting
> redrawing to consistent states only.
>
> So maybe those were bugs (like 12363 and 16621), but they went unfixed
> until Daniel's patch.

That's not what double-buffering does.  What it does, AFAIU, is let
Emacs redraw however many times it wants, and then bitblt the result
only once to the glass.