Re: Default font / size

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Default font / size
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 12:15:03 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> I admit I'm confused about your goals: on the one hand you don't want
> to specify the font size, and OTOH you don't like the size Emacs
> chooses without your specifying it, is that right?  Or did I miss
> something?
>
> If indeed I understood what you wanted, then what alternative
> mechanisms for choosing font size did you have in mind which could
> fulfill your goals?
>
> Or maybe you are asking why Emacs chooses size 12 for Consolas, but
> size 10 for Courier New, and what factors affect that?

Indeed, that may be a better way of putting it.

The way I was thinking of it, probably muddled, was: Emacs has some way
of selecting 10 as the font size when I don't specify a font, so I just
need to find a way to ask it to do that when I specify Consolas.

But if 12 is selected for Consolas because of some difference(s) between
Courier New and Consolas then I probably can't avoid specifying the
size (without avoiding Consolas anyway).

Thanks

        John