Re: Emacs-25.2 configuration problems

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Emacs-25.2 configuration problems
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:59:45 +1000

Richard Melville <6tricky9@gmail.com> writes:

I'm building a system without X windows.  I've already built and
installed ImageMagick-6.9.8-10 (avoiding ImageMagick-7) and most of the image libraries, however, I still can't get Emacs to configure with ImageMagick support. It doesn't build with support for the image libraries either, other than libjpeg. Is this because I don't have
the xorg libraries instralled?

It might well be; on my Debian Stretch x86_64 system, the ImageMagick 6 library itself requires X libraries such as libX11 and libXext. You can find out which libraries your ImageMagick install requires by doing
something like:

$ objdump -x /path/to/ImageMagick/library.so | grep NEEDED

On the other hand, libjpeg, on my system, only requires libc.

If so, this seems unreasonable.  Is there a way around it?

Given the above, this might be a question best asked of the developers
of the various image libraries you're having issues with.

Alexis.