Different background color for different windows/modes

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Different background color for different windows/modes
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 03:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, I am using a hook to change my background color using stuff like:
(add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook 'change-my-background-color)

This is sub-optimal because
- there is a terrible flash as soon as I enter the minibuffer
- all the displayed windows change color (not only the one getting focus).

How can I have different colors for different window  modes?  If currently
impossible, is something planned in that regard? Or maybe xemacs does this?