Re: keybindings again...

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: keybindings again...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 05:33:19 +0000

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:12 AM Jean-Christophe Helary <
jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you mean that Shift is not recognized as a modified key by the terminal
> ?

That's my understanding. Also, I rarely use emacs with -nw (as I would
otherwise miss PNG and PDF support), so I am not an expert on this subject.
But based on some reading, it has to do with the type of terminal emulator
you are using. This[1] might help.

> > If you do C-h c Esc+Shift+Return, Emacs will detect only Esc+Return. So
> you will see M-RET in the echo area.
> >
> > You probably just need to use some other binding.
>
> It would be nice if the org manual mentioned that too, and give
> alternative keybindings for use in the terminal because that's extremely
> confusing.

I cannot comment on that as this probably has to do with the terminal
emulator and not emacs. In any case, it might be better to submit an emacs
bug report (M-x report-emacs-bug) requesting this mention in the manual.

This node already mentions something on this topic:

    (elisp) Other Char Bits

but just not using the "Ctrl + Shift + .." example.

[1]: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/13957/115
--

Kaushal Modi