Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 07:30:55 +0900

> On Jul 3, 2017, at 7:16, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> And: Why wouldn't Spanish-speaking programmers
> and user of advanced technology acquire
> English? Many, many have already done so and in
> one or two generations it will be even
> more widespread.

???

People who understand English can enable people who don't.
Once there are enough people who have access to ressource in their native
language, there begins to be a production in the native language. And then
people don't need the original language anymore. That's how it works. And
that's a good thing.

It is only where there are not enough natives in a given language that there is
a tendency to stick to the foreign language. It does not seem to be the case
for Spanish. Plus technologies that have good ressources in the native language
tend to be adopted first, for obvious reasons. So if we want Emacs and Lisp to
be more popular with Spanish users it makes sense to produce the most Spanish
documentation possible.

Jean-Christophe