Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 00:35:46 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> That's a very interesting idea. How hard do
> you think it would be to create a wiki
> version of the Emacs manual ?

Technically, very easy as there is already an
Emacs wiki and an Emacs manual and anyone feel
free to create a page dealing with any topic
discussed in the manual in whatever language
you choose and start adding material.

> There are plenty of translation projects that
> work on an online interface and where
> translators contribute just a few paragraphs,
> and the quality is just sufficient to be
> useful (and it can be updated by anyone
> else).

In some cases it is a great method to translate
stuff. In other areas, such as novels where
a personal and somewhat consistent style is
good, I suppose it could be an OK method
lacking other alternatives. In other areas,
such as technology, it doesn't matter if the
method is good or bad if the idea is bad.
Which it is, here. Technology shouldn't
be translated.

If people won't come to technology, forcing it
closer to people won't help - it will only
create confusion, and those who want it will
not be helped by it, on the contrary.

Hey, why don't we translate Emacs Lisp? We can
start with Swedish!

    `find-file'   = `öppna-fil'
    `kill-region' = `radera-stycke'

Oh, that's right. We don't do it because it is
a bad idea.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573