Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 08:14:47 +0900

> On Jul 3, 2017, at 7:40, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> It makes sense to produce introductory texts,
> FAQs, and "culture" books in Spanish and every
> other language. But not the technology itself.
> And manuals and reference books are part
> of technology.

:) You speak from a minority language point of view. From where you stand that
makes sense. There are not enough people who speak Swedish to create a
technological market of ideas, hence the *need* to focus on English and to
certainly not waste time on producing stuff in Swedish.

It is silly to pretend it is the same for languages that have populations
ranging in the hundreds of millions. Especially for linguistic communities
where the common economic market offers very strong incentives to produce in
that language.

You also seem to conflate technology (specs etc.) and it's representation in
native languages (references/manuals). Specs use "code" that mostly looks like
English, but it is not English. "find-file" of "kill-region" are not English
words, even if they look like English. They are arbitrary symbols. Learning the
English language is not a required skill to have access to the meaning of such
symbols and to be able to use them fluently: my daughter does not speak a word
of English and is still able to fluently use all the alphabetical commands
available in Minecraft. It would bring her zero benefit to focus on English
acquisition before being allowed to play Minecraft. Or rather, it would
frustrate her so much that she would give up all such technology and focus on
playing with dolls who happen to speak the language that she wants them to
speak...

Jean-Christophe