Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 22:09:16 +0200

Devin Prater wrote:

> The biggest problem would be, then: what
> about other packages in Elpa/Melpa?
> What about accessibility systems which use
> Emacs, like Emacspeak or even Speechd-el?
> Those would have to be translated as well,
> and for Emacspeak, which deals a lot with
> actually helping the user to know what
> content is, rather than just reading it to
> them, it can be a big job translating all
> that. Of course, Google Translate could do
> all that, but if we're not going that rout,
> then we do need to consider other packages
> besides the root: Emacs.

In all fairness, I don't think the suggestion
ever was that *everything* should be translated
into *every* language. If that were to happen,
global unemployment would be eradicated in the
bargain. But of course it is
totally unrealistic.

Problem is, even translating key individual
elements is posing a challenge. And no matter
how successful that effort would be, it would
never be complete.

People who would rely on it would always be at
a huge disadvantage no matter what.

No, people will have to learn English.
Plain and simple. And they are, so no
worries :)