Re: How to translate LaTeX into UTF-8 in Elisp?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: How to translate LaTeX into UTF-8 in Elisp?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 07:57:53 +0200

On 2017-07-03, at 10:37, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski [2017-07-03 06:56:36+02] wrote:
>
>> On 2016-12-08, at 18:04, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>>> I have a string with embedded sequences like "\'e" or "\H{o}".  The
>>> Emacs TeX input method knows how to convert them into "é" or "ő" (when
>>> typing, of course).  Is there a way to use that to perform similar
>>> conversions in a string?
>
>> I'm revisiting this old thread now.
>
>> It is a horrible hack, but it should work.  Any better ideas?
>
> I would filter buffer's content through recode command.
>
>     [Highlight a region.]
>
>     C-u M-x shell-command-on-region RET recode tex.. RET
>
> You wanted to do this for a string so we can write a function that uses
> a temporary buffer and returns its content as a string. Here is a quick
> example:
>
>     (defun convert-from-latex (string)
>       (with-temp-buffer
>         (insert string)
>         (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max)
>                              "recode" t t nil "tex..")
>         (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max))))

Thanks, I didn't know about recode.  But it doesn't work all that well:
c{\c c}c does not remove braces, for instance, and what's even worse, it
apparently doesn't know about \k.

But thanks anyway, this is a good thing to remember, even though in my
case I perceive it as even more hackish than my approach (I'd prefer
Emacs to do the job, not an external utility).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski