Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Héctor Lahoz
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 10:24:36 +0200

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> And: Why wouldn't Spanish-speaking programmers
> and user of advanced technology acquire
> English? Many, many have already done so and in
> one or two generations it will be even
> more widespread.

I like English for its simplicity. And it is clear
that we need a universal language. And I think
English is a good choice. But free software is
about freedom. I don't like people who try to
impose their thoughts or their language. If
someone doesn't want to invest time and effort to
acquire some language, he is in his right. And I
think it would be good that someone who doesn't
speak English could use Emacs efficiently for
non-programming tasks. I'm not talking about
translating commands which would be (maybe)
nonsense. But the manual is the starting point.
I think it should be available in other languages.
Not just Spanish.

> If they don't, it is a huge mistake on their
> part and translating the manual won't help, I'm
> afraid. No, trust the people. Every programmer
> on this planet will soon know good
> enough English!

I agree.

But bear in mind that Emacs is not just for
programmers. All the modes for human languages can
be used by non-programmers. And many users of
Emacs are not programmers.