Re: dired-make-relative-symlink

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Re: dired-make-relative-symlink
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 17:21:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Here is a very compact and short implementation

(defun dired-make-relative-symlink (file1 file2 &optional ok-if-already-exists)
  "Make a symbolic link (pointing to FILE1) in FILE2.
The link is relative (if possible), for example

    \"/vol/tex/bin/foo\" \"/vol/local/bin/foo\"

results in

    \"../../tex/bin/foo\" \"/vol/local/bin/foo\""
  (interactive "FRelSymLink: \nFRelSymLink %s: \np")
  (let ((file1 (expand-file-name file1))
        (file2 (expand-file-name file2)))
    (make-symbolic-link (directory-file-name
                         (file-relative-name file1
                                             (file-name-directory
                                              file2)))
                        file2 ok-if-already-exists)))

I did not yet notice bugs but maybe there are some !

If you think it is accurate to replace the code in dired-x.el
fell free to do it !

Regards

Pierre