Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 19:28:07 +0300

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 12:35:46AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Hey, why don't we translate Emacs Lisp? We can
> start with Swedish!
>
>     `find-file'   = `öppna-fil'
>     `kill-region' = `radera-stycke'
>
> Oh, that's right. We don't do it because it is
> a bad idea.

There is nothing wrong in translating function names to offer easier
way of editing to people who are maybe not familiar with the English
and GNU Emacs in general.

That same process has been done since computers became available in
many countries.

Finally, original functions may remain just the same, and the key ones
can be contributive to the editing work in a particular country.

Many countries are not English speaking, just look at Tanzania with 45
millions Swahili speaking people, who really have trouble
understanding even their own language, unspoken of English. It is
totally different environment than Uganda or Kenya.

45 millions people can easily understand 20 basic functions in their
own language and their bindings.

Translations always have sense and reason, and the translation is
usually the first pioneering step to enter into the market of a
foreign country.

It also helps in distributing free software into new areas.

Jean