Re: \201\236 appearing in emacs.desktop

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: \201\236 appearing in emacs.desktop
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:49:05 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 06:02:59PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> And now that I've been looking at all my old 'emacs.desktop' files, I
>> can't find any where its corrupted, so it seems to have corrected itself
>> this time. For a while at least.
>
> Perhaps you should look into the usual log files (/var/log/messages and
> friends or however that is called in the Brave New World) for any hints
> towards disk problems. Maybe, just maybe your disk is flaky :-/

Thanks for replying Tomas.

I have 10 days worth of 'emacs.desktop' and I checked each one of them
and it still didn't show up in any of them. I backup my emacs config
file, my theme, and my emacs.desktop every evening, just in case! I keep
10 days-worth of these backups before they are deleted on a backup
cycle. It has saved my bacon, as the saying goes, on several occasions
so I think that its worth it. Plus I have my usual hourly backup with
rsync of my \home. So I actually checked 12 files without it appearing.

I would be very surprised if the hard-drive is going 'flaky' as this
computer is only about 5 weeks old, and its not due to 'lack of memory'
as I've got 64 gigs of ram, so that should cover most eventualities.

But it is something that I'm keeping an eye out for.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.9