Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:11:46 +0100

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> On 07/18/2017 01:07 PM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:
>>
>>> For some reason, when booting after a crash, the desktop isn't loaded; that
>>> is, the files which were
>>> loaded in the previous (crashed) session aren't loaded again.  I suspected
>>> this was due to
>>> "~/.emacs/.emacs.desktop.lock", so I deleted it.  Then I close emacs and
>>> start it again, but still
>>> the desktop isn't loaded.
>>>
>>> So then I try to load it by hand, ie, I run "M-x desktop-read"... this
>>> yields the error:
>>> "eval-buffer: Symbol's value as variable is void: Î".  Yes, the last
>>> character is a capital "I" with
>>> a carot above it.  If, from the "*scratch*" buffer I run (desktop-read
>>> "/home/user/.emacs.d/"), I
>>> get exactly the same error message.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what's going on?
>> I've had the same problem too, and the only thing that I can do is to
>> restore my buffers from memory. I use tabbar so its a bit easier as I
>> have tabs grouped by the major mode that they're using.
>>
>> I also back up my 'emacs.desktop' every night at 1800, along with my
>> config file and my theme too, so its always possible for me to import
>> any of these files if the original one gets corrupted.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.

Hi Ken, answers in line.

> Sharon, thanks for your reply. There's a lot there though which I'm not
> understanding.  For
> instance, what do you meanfur that you 'restore them from memory'?  And what
> is tabbar...? and what
> are tabs?

I remember what files I had open before the 'emacs.desktop' corruption
and I then use that memory to help me load them back into emacs. It just
uses brain power and brain memory to tell me what buffers I had open,
and which I therefore need to reload.

Tabbar and tabbar-ruler [fn:1] help you by having each buffers title
shown in tabs at the top of the emacs buffer. These tabs are similar to
the tabs you can find in most internet browsers, think firefox,
chromium, Vivaldi, etc. You can move very easily between them by using
your mouse, or perhaps keyboard but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, every
buffer is a tab, and tabs are grouped together dependant on their major
mode. So all elisp buffers are grouped together, and ditto with
org-mode, etc. Both programs are available from ELPA, and if you're
still using your mouse then they're very worthwhile.

> I also backup my ".emacs.desktop", but just by hand at times that feel
> appropriate.  Maybe I should
> use a cron job like you do.

Its saved my bacon on several occasions! I can recommend it </advert end> :)

Thanks
Sharon.

[fn:1] http://github.com/mlf176f2/tabbar-ruler.el
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.9