Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character :: half-SOL

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character :: half-SOLVED!!!
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 19:00:15 -0400

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> I've been having a longterm
> issue with the German characters: ä ö ü, their capitalized equivalents
> and ß.  I can type them into an emacs buffer (and obviously into an
> email composed in Tbird).  But if I copy text with any of these
> characters from somewhere else and paste it into emacs, I get
> "garbage" characters in their stead; not so if I paste the same text
> into any other application on my system, e.g., Tbird, vi, bash shell,
> even LibreOffice's Calc.  So there's something shakey going on with
> emacs there.  I can't say this problem and the one original to this
> email thread come out of the same code, but they do bear some
> resemblance.

You probably have to specify the correct encoding of the X selection: go to

   Options / Multilingual Environment / Set Coding Systems/ For X
Selections/Clipboard

or "C-x RET x" for short. You'll probably have to guess what the encoding
should be
based on whatever the previous, unsuccessful, paste did to your buffer :-)

Personally, I set everything to use UTF-8 and have very little trouble, but I
cannot
control what some random website will do, so if I need to cut and paste from
there
the above method might come in handy.

--
Nick