Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 09:38:37 +0300

> From: Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:26:21 -0500
>
> I'm now faced with a small problem. Click-to-focus is the rule, but stupid,
> stupid Windows also insists on passing the same click used to change focus
> to the application itself. Maybe VcXsrv has some setting I've not
> discovered (I can't even find the damn thing on the computer.) Is there
> some way to make it stop? Can Emacs come to the rescue and somehow ignore
> that initial, point-changing click?

What do you mean by "ignore"?  What does Emacs do upon that click that
you'd like to avoid?  (I never used a Mac, and hope I never will, so I
have no idea what does "change keyboard focus, full stop" really
mean, on a GUI system where the window that has focus receives a flood
of window-system events right away.)

In any case, you can have focus-follows-mouse on Windows as well,
although it's a bit more tricky than on X.  I always set up my Windows
machines to do that, because having to click a window (and as result
raise it to the top-most position in z-order) to have focus in it
drives me mad.  However, given that I don't understand what part of a
click you'd like Emacs to ignore, I cannot be sure that even having
focus-follows-mouse on Windows will solve your problem.