Re: string-rectangle provides on-the-fly preview, undesirably

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: string-rectangle provides on-the-fly preview, undesirably
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:06:47 -0600

Drew Adams wrote:
> Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't seem
> to have provided for an easy opt-out of this behavior.

There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the on-the-fly preview
feature.  Gack.

> If I'm right, you might want to use `M-x report-emacs-bug'
> to suggest that they do so.  It should be very easy to do,
> based on what I see in the code.  The previewing feature
> should be optional, IMO, even if someone has decided that
> it should be on by default.

I have done so and filed a bug in the emacs bug tracker.

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/27974

> FWIW, here is the Emacs 24.5 code, which you should still
> be able to use.

Unfortunately string-rectangle-history appears undefined.  I will need
to expand the prior code import a little further.  I haven't dug into
what it will take to really revert to the previous for me.  I'm
actually mostly just using the previous emacs 24 most of the time and
therefore able to avoid it.  However you have shown me that I should
be able to hack this back in using the previous code such that I can
keep my sanity moving forward.  Once I actually do figure it all out I
will post a follow-up with the details.

Thank you for your help!

Bob