Re: I'd like Emacs to display a big (but short) "pop up" text

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: I'd like Emacs to display a big (but short) "pop up" text
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 22:29:04 -0700

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to display a "pop up"/"tip", i.e., a short text (a few
> characters).  The thing is, I want it to be visible: large font,
> preferably centered on the screen.  My use case is demoing Emacs, and
> before showing the effects of e.g. C-x 2, I'd like to show
> a big-lettered "C-x 2" on the screen.  It would be nice to use something
> like the blocks in M-x tetris to build the letters, or anything else
> that would clearly show "C-x 2" or whatever keychord I'm showing.
>
> Any ideas?

I've wanted this too -- it seems like this is something alert.el would
be good for. It would be particularly nice to be able to filter on key
prefixes, or major mode commands, or something like that. Maybe a
post-command-hook that examines the function called, and decides whether
to pop up a key-press display or not...