Re: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:00:52 +0200

Ronald Fischer <ynnor@mm.st> writes:

> I'm using the Emacs Configure method
> (Options/ConfigureEmacs/BrowseCustomizationGroups) to configure Emacs.
> However, some configurations settings must be done by manually setting
> the customizataion variables (at least according the FAQ) in the .emacs
> file.
>
> Now, the interactive emacs configuration **also** modifies .emacs. What
> do I have to do to keep my settings and thos Emacs is writing, apart? I
> don't want Emacs to override my settings, and I don't want the Emacs
> configuration tool to get confused, just because my .emacs file contains
> things I  have put there.
>
> Ronald

I don't fully understand your question, but for keeping apart the settings you
make with what you call the "Configure method":

(setq custom-file "~/my-customizations.el")
(load custom-file 't)

If you already have something like

(custom-set-variables
 )

in your .emacs, move it to the customizations file mentioned above.