Re: program to compute gears, with table

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: program to compute gears, with table
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 07:19:46 +0200

Tosspot wrote:

>> Part of every office software including free
>> ones. I rewrote his code in common lisp in
>> less time than it takes excel to start.
>
> Dinosaur. SML is the way to go.

More like you are the dinosaur! Sure, Excel is
from 1987 and SML (Standard Meta Language) is
from 1990.

But SML is a modern implementation of ML from
way back in 1973! ML is sometimes called
"Lisp with types". But Lisp also have types,
only in a different way.

SML and other modern dialects of ML are today
common at universities and popular with
CS people in general (compiler writers,
language-for-the-sake-of-language guys etc.),
but perhaps CS people with a more engineering
inclination than the purists on Haskell.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573