RE: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:06:52 +0000 (UTC)

> I have an extensive dropbox folder with subdirectories for projects; I
> would like to share the bookmarks between different computers.  These
> computers have distinct files outside this dropbox folder to which I need
> to have bookmarks.  So far, I have not found a way to do all the necessary
> parts.
>
> I tried to find something like this in the extensive documentation for
> bookmarks+.  I think that package is overkill for my usage.
>
>    1. I need to load both sets of bookmarks, local and global, so to speak.
>    2. The bookmarks to files in the dropbox folder do not need to be saved
>    and loaded separately.
>    3. Bookmarks that are local to each machine must be loaded, but must be
>    saved separately in a local bookmarks file like
>    ~/.emacs.d/localbookmarks.txt .
>
> The deeper I dig, the more complicated it looks.  I would appreciate any
> ideas.  I thought of org-mode, and I like and use it, but it would be much
> simpler to use the canonical bookmark facility of Emacs.

Sorry, but I don't really understand your use case and the problem
you see.

It sounds like you are just looking for a way to keep separate, and
separately loadable, sets of bookmarks.  Is that it?

If so, you can do that with vanilla Emacs bookmark.el, but Bookmark+
can help.  It makes it easier to have multiple bookmark files, switch
among them during an Emacs session, combine any of them during a
session, etc.

If it sounds to you like this might help then you might want to
take a look at this part of the Bookmark+ doc, about using multiple
bookmark files:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#UsingMultipleBookmarkFiles